Imagine opening up your freezer and finding this...
"What is that?" you may ask. Well, this little craw fish was given to the boys by Jed's assistant, Dawn. We all went out to eat at a craw fish restaurant while at our state dental convention last month. Dawn thought that the boys would be interested in seeing what a craw fish looks like, so she got this one from the kitchen. Of course she was right...they loved it! The boys brought Sammy (yes, they named him Sammy) home with them in a small cooler. When Jed told them that it was time for Sammy to have a proper burial before he began to stink, they decided to solve this problem by freezing him in a block of ice. Very inventive if you ask me. Now how long do I let Sammy remain in my freezer?
How many times have I read this book? "Mr Brown Can Moo Can You?" is Gracie's favorite book. It was Owen's favorite too. In fact, this is our second copy of this now family classic.
After being in Owen's classroom one day I volunteered to take a bag of pencils home that needed to be sharpened. His teacher, Mrs. Smith, explained to me that keeping sharp pencils in the classroom is a constant battle for her. Frankly, I don't think any educator should have to waste a lot of time worrying about something like keeping pencils sharpened. When the kids told me that I should tell Mrs. Smith that they would sharpen the class' pencils on a regular basis, I jumped on it. Now Owen brings home a bag of pencils at least once a week and in no time flat we have them sharpened and ready to go back to the classroom. I figure this is an age-appropriate way that our kids can do service for someone else. Really they (especially the girls) like doing it. They practice their counting and sing songs while they sharpen and just for the sake of "keeping it real" on this blog, they also spend plenty of time yelling at the other when they butt in on their turn. I guess we are also learning about taking turns...yep, it's a win-win situation!
No comments:
Post a Comment