
Owen hit a couple more milestones last week...he started the first grade (all day every day--we have already heard complaints about that) and he turned SEVEN! So much to celebrate. He was so excited for his first day of school. He laid his clothes out perfectly the night before and was ready at least a half hour early. He was excited because his "best friend" who he had met on the play ground on the last day of school last year was going to be in his class. When he got home he was a little disappointed that his "best friend" didn't remember meeting him, but then quickly told me about his new "best friend", Jad (Jed told him that his friend spells his name wrong of course). I am excited about his teacher, Mrs. Smith. She seems to have a lot of energy, be very creative and have high expectations for her students. Sounds right up Owen's alley....we will see. Let's hear it for first grade!

Several years ago when my kids were all toddlers, my friend and I were expressing frustration with some kids that we had recently interacted with. Then we realized that all of these kids were seven years old. We decided maybe there is something about the age of seven. So, I have always dreaded this age a little bit. Well, we saw it coming on a little over the summer...Owen is definitely asserting himself more, rolling his eyes more and let's face it...growing up. As parents we recognize that our goal is to raise independent, capable, adults who will actually contribute to society, but does he have to start rolling his eyes in the process. Seriously? All that being said, he was pumped for his birthday. He wanted to invite all of his friends to a huge party. The list he made was well over 20 kids...and that was without any of their siblings. We forced him to slim it down a bit and compromised by agreeing to bring cupcakes to his class the day before so that he could "celebrate" with ALL of his 27 classmates. Then we had movie night (on the lawn of course) that night with a couple of family friends. The next day (his birthday) was also the start of the soccer season. After Davis' morning game and Owen's afternoon game, we invited his Sunday School class (plus a couple additional friends) to a LEGO party. He was in heaven! He was showered with gifts from friends and family and sincerely LOVED everything that he got. Thank you for those of you who came to celebrate with us and for those who sent cards and gifts...this is one SPOILED kid. The night before his birthday he was able to open one gift. Some friends had gone in on a fire helicopter Lego set and it was the biggest set that he has ever gotten. As I was tucking him into bed he said to me, "Mom, I feel like this is a dream. The only reason that I know that this is not a dream is because I can hear myself talking." Okay, maybe 7 can be a cute age after all.
2 comments:
I can't believe I forgot about the party! I actually can, I guess, but still....I'm sorry! Looks like he had fun, and 7 is a VERY tough year. Not fun. Welcome to the club!
happy birthday, big first grader!
Post a Comment