Friday, September 18, 2009

First Day of SCHOOL!!!

Owen and his friend from church, Camrie. He has Camrie and a friend from preschool, Skylar, in his class.
Now it's official...Owen is in kindergarten! Everyone has been asking how Owen liked the first day of school. The best way to describe it is he seemed completely indifferent. I could tell that he got a kick out of being old enough to go, wearing his new clothes, carrying his Spiderman lunchbox, etc. Davis was sick that day, so we obviously all could not go, but I gave him the choice, "Who do you want to take you to school, Mommy or Daddy?" His response was quick, "Daddy". Honestly I felt a bit relieved. I didn't want to be the bawling mother driving away from the school and I am pretty sure that he didn't want that either. Kate and I stood at the door and waved good-bye as he drove away and that was that. Jed said that he held his hand to the classroom. Owen showed him around, Jed took a couple of pictures and then said, "It's time for me to go" and Owen said, "Okay Dad, bye." No big deal...totally indifferent. Not what I pictured, but I am relieved that he wasn't acting shy or scared. Davis was not able to leave the house in the afternoon (he has had diarreah for a whole week now...poor boy), so my neighbor/friend, Jodi came over and sat with the kids while I ran over to pick Owen up from school. I asked him how is day was and he said, "great". He seemed to like lunch and P.E. (that's our boy!) and then asked if he had to go tomorrow. I told him that he wouldn't go again for two more days (they do this wierd slow start thing here) to which he told me that he was glad because he wanted to stay home and play with his new legos. I think he is going to be our child who says, "Do I have to go to school today?" ALOT! My best guess is that he thinks he is going to miss out on something fun at home. Hopefully when the novelty of all of his birthday gifts wears off it will be better. So, there you have it...Owen is officially a Redwood Roadrunner. He will go to school all day on Tuesdays and Thursdays and half the day on Friday. In some ways I feel like I have sent him off into the influence of the world, but I am more and more excited for him and for our family to get to know more families in our community.

Here's to having Roadrunners for the next eleven years! I guess I better join the PTA...

No comments: