Sunday, February 22, 2009

Does this look like the face of a nursery bully?



At the end of December Kate was officially old enough to go into the nursery at church--OH HAPPY DAY! Of course we had put her in there a few weeks early, with the permission of the teachers, and she had no problem. It did help that Davis was still in there and her idol...Ellie. Then the new year rolled around and all of the big kids moved on to Primary (or in other words, the big kid Sunday School--Davis still complains that he misses snack time). Well, one of the nursery leaders is a friend of mine (Grandma Cherie we call her) and she called one day to ask about something else and then casually mentioned that there are a few really aggressive kids in the nursery now. I told her that I knew she was talking about Kate, which she admitted before telling me how surprised she was because the boys had both been so calm in nursery and when they visited her home--HA! I asked her to please discipline Kate by putting her in time-out for any inappropriate behavior (ie. pushing, hitting, etc--pushing being her torture of choice). Just last week I walked by the nursery door and heard, "Oh, that's a time-out. Kate you are in time-out for pushing". When we picked her up at the end of church the teachers said she had a great day and was only in time-out once...ugh. I always thought that if I ever had a daughter I would want her to be a strong woman, but a nursery bully...I think that having two older brothers may have something to do with it. What do you think?

4 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Definitely has to do with brothers. That's so funny 'cause Erica just went into nursery and her first day she got pushed. Since she has no siblings, she doesn't know what to do about it. As much as I hate it, I know it will be good for her to toughen up.

Bethany C. said...

OH my goodness, I think the 3rd child has possessive issues. At least our 3rd child does! He knows how to defend himself and get what he wants. The other day I had Dallin (who just went into nursery too)in his stroller going through the library. A little kid came up to his stroller as I was opening the door and Dallin started yelling at him! For no reason- except that maybe he was defending his space in the event that the other kid was thinking of invading it. I was so embarrassed!

Katie said...

as long as she's not scratching and taking chunks out of other kids' cheeks i think she'll be okay :)

the Bachlers said...

Alyson wasn't a "nursery bully", but she always fought back. She may be an only child, but she plays with mostly boys who are just as strong willed as she is. She definitely does NOT have the face of a bully!!