Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Happenings

Just in case you were wondering I thought I would give you my take on Valentine's day...It's funny as a kid I loved the holiday. I mean who doesn't love getting a bunch of cards and CANDY from all of your friends and family!?!?! As a teenager my girlfriends and I would refer to the holiday as "Single Awareness Day". As a young adult I thought it was a fun holiday. Now as a married gal, I have to be honest and say that I really don't put a lot of significance on the day (I know I am such a romantic--don't worry Jed and I agree on this point). Really, I think that husbands and wives should find opportunities all year long to express appreciation and spoil each other. As a mom...I LOVE VALENTINE'S DAY! I love the opportunity to see the holiday through the eyes of my children once again. I love the chance to teach them to say "I love you" to the many people who spoil them and show kindness to them on a daily basis. My kids are lucky to have fantastic/involved grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. We have the world's greatest neighbors...most of whom happen to be grandparents themselves. Who can have too many grandparent figures? Jed has the greatest office staff. My kids have great teachers and we all have AMAZING friends. So to all of you....We love you and hope you have had a Fabulous Valentine's Day!

Before I move on to the picture mania I do have to tell you a fun thing that Jed did on Valentine's Day with the kids. When I woke up there were valentine cards at my door waiting for me. Then they spent the morning showering me with praise...."Mom, I LOVE the breakfast that you made us!", "Mommy, I LOVE you so much", "Mommy, I love the way you set up my bunk bed"...and on and on and on. It didn't take long before I noticed the chart Owen had made on the wall and I realized that they were having a contest. Jed and the boys were competing to see who could use the word "love" the most in relation to me. It went on all day and was a riot! I LOVED every minute of it. I am grateful for a hubby who teaches our kids to treat their mom with love and appreciation...and not just on February 14th!

Now here are a few pictures (in no particular order) to sum up our Valentine celebrations...

The kids and I made oreo truffles for Jed's staff. The boys call them "chocolate meatballs".

Heart-shaped pizzas, ice cubes and straws...always a hit!

Thank you for the Valentines Grandma Nila! She even sent one for the new baby...can I have her dollar?

Davis made the day special by NOT wearing his "Awesome Shirt" (see past entry for explanation)
Kate and I stopped by Owen's class party to grab a couple of photos and Kate got in on the dancing action too...this girl has some moves!
Owen was the fish feeder for the day...an honor for any 5 year old.
Kate was a sweet little Valentine. I love how she poses for the camera now...too funny.
Oh, as a side note we did also have a party with Davis and Kate's music class--very fun and entertaining for all.

4 comments:

Erica Johnston said...

Erica- I hear you're having a girl- CONGRATS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Super Duper fun! You are the greatest Mom, and Jed is such a thoughtful husband. Happy late Valentines Day! PS- I love Kate in the heart outfit.

nana said...

What a fun Valentines day and week. Davis, you sure look grown up too! Kate, I can't wait to see you dance in person. We need to break out the web cams again!

Katie said...

hmmm, i think i will steal jed's idea and use it on trent next year. sounds like you had a great day. we had such a fun time at your house, and as always, i love to be around you! xo