Saturday, July 30, 2011

Science 101

In the summer time I like to find ways to keep the kid's minds engaged, so every once in a while I come up with some sort of experiment. I know that this is not a unique one, but I thought it was fun. We filled vases/glasses with water and food coloring and then I had each of them come up with a hypothesis as to what they thought would happen to a white carnation after being in the solution.
Owen: He thought that the flowers would change color (smarty pants)
Davis: At first he thought that it would make them grow, but then decided that it would make the stems change color...a good guess I thought.
Kate: She just kept saying, "I don't know." That girl is always afraid to guess because she doesn't like to be wrong...we are working on that.
Gracie: She just wanted to drink the water. :)

Here's what happened...
After one hour there was no visible change to most of the flowers, except for a couple of tiny spots on the red.
After a couple of days they all showed color and the kids were thrilled with the results.
The yellow was by far the most brilliant.
An easy experiment I would definitely do again.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Oh that is such a great idea!I think it is so fantastic that your kids are excited about these experiments. Who says science can't be fun? :)

guthriejen said...

Fun idea. I need to do this soon.