Sunday, May 4, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls, Anyone?




A couple of months ago my Mom came up with the idea of doing a family service project. She said that she could not stop thinking about my sister's friend, Sandra, who is in a difficult situation. She felt our family, as a whole, should do something to help. We all agreed that Sandra is very deserving and Jed and I were excited to use this opportunity to teach our children about compassion and the value of doing for someone else. My mom then got some frozen cinnamon rolls at a wholesale cost (I wanted to be sure to put this in here so that it doesn't appear that we were making the dough from scratch...don't want to misrepresent myself!) and the kids went to work. Amy's kids had great success with their sales, so we were next. Our friend Carmen was kind enough to let us set up a small table at her yard sale. We spent a day baking and frosting 17 pans of cinnamon rolls (thank you Bethany for your frosting recipe on your blog--great timing!). The boys were eager to make signs to use and Owen was pumped about setting up shop. Things went well at the yard sale, where we sold the rolls individually or by the pan. Owen called out to potential buyers, "Would you like to buy a cinnamon roll?", basically as soon as the door opened to their vehicles. After three hours the boys had had enough, however, and we still had a dozen pans left to sale. We packed the kids up and started to hit up our friends. Lucky for us, we have lot of wonderful and generous friends with sweet teeth. When all was said and done the kids raised $150. Not too shabby, eh? Thank you Nana for getting us thinking about serving other people!

4 comments:

nana said...

Owen and Davis I am so proud of you! What great salesmen you are. I know it will make Sandra so happy to have toys for her grandson and so things that she needs for her home. I know Heavenly Father is very proud of you for helping to take care of one of His children.

Anonymous said...

You boys are awesome! Thanks for all of your work. I will send you pictures of the things we buy with the money! Great job.

Clarke and Kamie said...

what a great idea--and I'm sure your boys will remember doing this. I'm motivated now!

Shelby said...

Thanks for doing this. What a good idea to help teach your children to care about and for others! I loved the cinnamon rolls and must comment that they were very yummy!