
So, the following experience also took place a couple of months ago now, but it is just too good not to document. Back in October Jed had a crazy schedule. Several weekends he was out of town with the youth from our church. So, one Friday morning before he headed off to work I said, "What can I do to help you get ready for your trip?" He jokingly told me that I could mow the backyard so that he didn't have to worry about it. I knew that he was joking, but decided to do it anyway. After dropping Owen off for his half day of school I got straight to work. I went out to the out building and got the mower out and started mowing. I kept thinking about Gracie's safety, so I went back in and brought her outside in her car seat just a few seconds after beginning. I decided that it was better to sacrifice a little of her hearing (sorry Jeff) than to wonder what Kate and Davis were doing to her. Okay, back to mowing...I am moving at super speed and laugh as I think about the student body president my freshman year at BYU. He gave a speech at orientation about how "Cougars Don't Cut Corners". Of course it was a metaphor for life and how we should always do our best...does anyone else remember this who was at BYU that year? Of course they put up signs all over campus that said "Cougars Don't Cut Corners" and some wise guy went around and cut the corners off of all of them....I'll admit, it made me laugh. Anyway, so I am mowing and thinking about this and I decided then to embrace the fact that we are now Redwood Roadrunners and just have to move fast...I skip going around the fruit trees...maybe in this instance it is okay for cougars to cut corners...

A few minutes later Davis comes out and tells me that the phone is ringing...I stop mowing and go in...it is not ringing Kate has pushed the "page" button. Oh and by the way she is now COVERED in lotion....in her brand new shirt....gotta love it...clean Kate up...back to mowing...Davis appears again...Daddy is on the phone....I go in...nope...Kate is listening to old messages...Man am I getting a work out. The thing that keeps me going is know that Jed is going to be SO excited when he discovers that I mowed the lawn. Maybe this will even give him an hour to spend with the kids...this is going to be AWESOME....

The lawn is done...whew...just in time to shower and go get Owen...
And now for the rest of the story...Jed had an emergency patient at work and came home just in time to pack up his car and head out the door. So much for extra time with the kids. His smile was worth it though when I told him that I mowed the lawn...oh the things we do for love...
4 comments:
This makes me laugh. I just checked out you blog. Love the cougars don't cut corners! Ha, sounds like my life whenever I "try" to get anything done, you always pay for it!! Maybe you just need a smaller yard!
I totally remember that slogan. I always thought it was b/c they wanted us to stay off the grass.
Yep, I remember that too- funny times. Great job with the mowing, I'm super impressed!
Great post! I remember that too. It all STARTED because they wanted us to stay off the grass. I still think about it every time I'm tempted to cut a corner.
You are awesome! Miss you!
Post a Comment