Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A few more things to remember...

**On Sunday when our Sacrament meeting was over Davis informed me that he didn't want to go to his nursery class that week. He has been doing this the past couple of weeks, so I decided to take a different approach this time. I told him that he had a choice to make he could either stay there sitting on the bench in the chapel or he could go into nursery and have a snack with his friends. He said that he just wanted to stay where he was. "OK, " I said and we continued to sit, side-by-side watching all of the other people exit. A few minutes passed and I asked him if he still wanted to sit there or if he was ready to go...he still chose the bench...a few more minutes and I told him that Kate wanted to play with the toys, so I was going to take her to nursery, but I would come back for him when church was over. "OK", he said. I walked out of the chapel and waited in the hallway for him to freak out. He never did. Can I tell, that kid sat/laid on that bench for 15 minutes. Finally, I went back in (he was still smiling) and told him that another group was coming into the chapel, so he had a new choice to make. He could come to my class and sit on my lap the whole time or go play with Ellie. "Ellie's in nursery?", he asked and off he went down the hall. That is one kid who knows what he wants.

**I was cracking up today…Owen and Davis were running from Kate who was dubbed “the baby monster” and they were screaming of course (who wouldn’t be screaming with a baby monster chasing them?)….”AHHHHHH..” breath, breath…”AHHHHH”…and then Owen says, “Quick, run from your life!” I thought it was a riot. Don’t you love how kids take common phrases and give them a whole new meaning?

**A few months ago we added “hate” to the list of words that we don’t say in our house. We tell the kids that we don’t tell people that we “hate” them because that is definitely not a kind thing to say, etc. Well, this rule has totally come back to bite me…”I would hate for it to rain and ruin our fun….”,”I would hate to have to take that toy away from you…”, “I would hate it if….”---AHHHH!!!! You better believe that the word police here notice EVERY time I use that word. Owen is the one who says, “BAD WORD, BAD WORD!” and Davis simply says, “Mommy, you used a strong word”, in such a disapproving tone. I have made myself follow the rules and have had to put many of my special things in time out. Thank goodness for my boys or I would have such bad language! the ironic thing is that they never say "hate" any more.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Love those boys. Tell Davis that the feeling in mutual between he and Ellie. She loves playing with him, too (and of course, Owen and Kate)!

JoyRGardner@gmail.com said...

Oh Erica, I am smiling. Your such a great mom, and I love how sharp and quick your boys are. I really enjoyed reading about your mommy moments.
love, Joy

nana said...

I can't wait to be together. I know all about your language police. He catches everything! I remember being chastised for saying Oh, my Gosh, now that one was hard to break. I can just see Davis sitting there in the chapel. He is a determined little guy. Some day that will serve him well. I sure do miss all your little monkeys.